Thursday, July 22, 2004

Trying to do something meaningful

Yesterday I went to a meeting for the women of MachsomWatch from the Haifa area. Basically the women who go to the northern checkpoint – Barta’a and Jalame. I have only gone out once (second time this Saturday) so it was really interesting to meet women who have been doing this for a while. Three women from the Jerusalem group (the ones who started the organization) came and spoke with us about their experiences. It turned out to be very good timing since four women from our group were in Barta’a when the army came to demolish 13 buildings. They got caught up in the demonstrations and were shot with tear gas. Now they are trying to figure out how to use this for better publicity. On the one hand I want to tell Yoram about this but I am afraid who will be against my going to Barta’a if he thinks it is dangerous.
The women in this group are really impressive, dedicated and capable. One of them said that it has been such a wonderful experience for her to meet so many interesting women. It sounds like this good be a good feminist experience and well as a chance to do something politically.

1 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, Blogger jiri said...

Hey, I have enjoyed...your blog is informative - even entertaining.

I have a halloween sites. They pretty much covers costumes and masks related stuff.

Thanks again and I'll be sure to bookmark you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home