Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Good Feminist News

Haaretz - Israel News: "Court: Women's teams must get 150% more money than men's

By Yuval Yoaz, Haaretz Correspondent

The High Court of Justice set affirmative action precedent Wednesday, ruling that local authorities must provide women's sports teams with budgets that are 150 percent higher than municipal men's teams receive.

The High Court obligated the Ramat Hasharon local council, together with all local councils that fund local sports teams, to adopt Ministry of Science and Sport criteria saying women's teams must receive additional funds to further affirmative action.".


Well maybe there is hope for this country after all. Feminism and women's rights usually take such a backseat here that it will be amazing if this actually happens.

I asked Machsom Watch to put me on the mailing list. Since they go out on weekdays I can't participate at the moment but at least I will know what they are doing and maybe join every once in awhile. I feel like I need to do something besides complain about the shitty government and the scary situation and I need to get out there and do something. OTOH, I can't go into the territories and visit the villages like my brother Roni does. First of all I am scared. Second, what if something would happen to me, there are two kids to think of. I want to live here. For some reason that I can't always articulate I do love this country. Yoram says he is ready to leave. I'm not. It's that simple. I want to stay here so I have to make it better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home